ZIO 2015 Discussion

Class 10th. 50 Marks.

Yes but I am a little weak in algorithms

@Organic-Shilling

Q2)

your answer for part b and c are correct (even I got the same)
but for part (a) i got 96

given n=6 & k=8 (Ti denotes train i, E-enter, L-leave)

first T1 enters(obviously)
now since k=8 we can have maximum of 4 more trains entering and leaving before T1 leaves

case 1:

4 trains(T2 to T5) enter and leave before T1 leaves,that is, fix the position of T1 as 5 in the output sequence:
there are 14 possible ways in which T2 to T5 occupy the first 4 positions in the output sequence(can be easily verified)

For each of these 14 ways,there is only 1 way in which T6 can occupy the sixth position(EL)

So, 14 x 1 = 14;

case 2:

3 trains(T2 to T4) enter and leave before T1 leaves,that is, fix the position of T1 as 4 in the output sequence:

there are 5 possible ways in which T2 to T4 occupy the first 3 positions in the output sequence(can be easily verified)

For each of these 5 ways,there are 2 ways in which T5 & T6 can occupy the 5th and 6th position(EELL and ELEL)

So, 5 x 2 = 10;

case 3:

2 trains(T2 , T3) enter and leave before T1 leaves,that is, fix the position of T1 as 3 in the output sequence:

there are 2 possible ways in which T2 & T3 occupy the first 2 positions in the output sequence

For each of these 2 ways,there are 5 ways in which T4 to T6 can occupy the last 3 positions.
So, 2 x 5 = 10;

case 4:

1 train(T2) enter and leave before T1 leaves,that is, fix the position of T1 as 2 in the output sequence:
there is only one possible way in which T2 occupies the first position in the output sequence
For this one way,there are 14 ways in which T3 to T6 can occupy the last 4 positions.

So, 1 x 14 = 14;

So far total output sequences generated: 14+10+10+14=48;

case 5:

zero trains enter and before T1 leaves,that is, fix the position of T1 as 1 in the output sequence:
now again we have 5 more trains(T2 to T6) which have 48 output sequences as shown above.

hence total no. of output sequences = 48x2 = 96;

ANS:96

In the comment section of the first answer posted on this question this exists lists of E/L sequences as well as final sequences. Can you find the missing cases ? It will be easier to disprove the agreed upon ans that way.

I am getting 50. Grade 10. Can i be selected with this much . made a silly mistake , else would have got 60

@a1a99_3

The answer for case 5 is 42, not 48. The sum of previous cases is not equal to the last case, it needs to be calculated separately.

@adityakhanna1999

It is unlikely that cutoff for 10th will be more than 40.

@Organic-Shilling

some of your output sequences are not possible

ex:

@superty

for case 5

now you have T2 to T6 instead of T1 to T5 and rest is the same

even though u calculate separately u will again repeat cases 1 to 4 and hence the count is 48 only.

@a1a99_3 http://textuploader.com/ob47 this is the text file. Find your mistakes in this one.

What is expected cut off for class 11?
Last year in class 10 my score was 40 and class 10 cut off was 25 and 11 cut off was 30.
This year my score is 35

@a1a99_3

It is not the same. Cases 1-4 calculate for T1 to T6, not T1 to T5.

1 Like

I got the exact same answers as you! I’m in class 9 BTW…

I solved problems 1, 3 and 4 correctly (and completely)! I’m getting 60!!

On one hand I am extremely happy that you have secured 60 being in class 9 and on the other hand I am getting depressed that I might not get selected. You will get selected surely so start preparing for INOI immediately.

Oh! What happened?! How many marks are you getting? What grade are you in?
I hope you get through anyway…

Grade 12 and 50 marks. I am also giving ZCO so I should definitely get through.

Hi all!

I’m in 9th grade and I scored 60 in ZIO according to these answers.

I hope I get qualified for the NEXT LEVEL.

I am quite comfortable coding using Python and Javascript and am considerably proficient at HTML/CSS.

I have no experience in C, C++ and Pascal but I have very little experience doing with Java (or Oak as I think it should rightfully be called).

I’m planning to go ahead and use Java for INOI. In order to do so, I have to learn Java within the next 2 months.

I want to have enough expertise to be able to solve the INOI problems so um… Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to learn Java? (I notice the redundancy)

You got 50 right? I think that you’ll easily get selected.

Anyway, Good luck for ZCO!

I suggest you shift to C++ immediately. Its easier and most people use C++ so you’ll be at an advantage when you have doubts and such. Because you haven’t started it’ll be easy for you. There are plenty of online resources for c++. You’ll have to hop from one to another because you have 2 months to prepare. Do selected topics and do them well. Dynamic Programming, BFS, DFS are topics you should be proficient with within the next 20-25 days. Good Luck!

@data2000

I second Organic-Shilling, most people use C++ so it’ll be easier for you to ask for help as well, and it doesn’t make much of a difference right now since it’s not like you’ve already started with Java and you have to switch,

Also, note that you only need to know the basic topics listed here: http://www.iarcs.org.in/inoi/online-study-material/topics/

1 Like

Hey!
According to your solutions, I would get 50 Marks and I am in Class 11. Will I make it through? Anyway, Thanks for posting the answers and also for the discussions! If I pass the cut-off, what should be my preparations for the next level? I have been learning C++ in my school for this year. Would that be enough? Cause, I don’t even know what Brute-Force algorithm is! And I seriously think I am under prepared for this.

Btw, for the third part of the last question, I got it as 11. I don’t know how I got that wrong.