W̶e̶a̶k̶ ̶M̶i̶n̶d̶ Admin goes

Hi guys,

I’m notifying that I decided to left the position of CC long challenges. SORRY!!

About my screwing ups you can talk so much…

1. I’m sorry for the NP-hard task, but it was better than fft,
  2. I’m sorry for the trading challenge, I tried to show for everyone what trading is
  3. I’m sorry for the quotes, unfortunately, it’s not possible to struggle with weak tests with the slow system
  4. I’m sorry for the unfresh ideas. The many good ideas is not new
  5. I’m sorry for the Snackdown elimination, seems it really was the worst contest ever…
  6. Maybe I missed something, sorry beforehand…

After the long thinking there is the best opportunity to give the chance for other admins to grow.
I tried to give more geometry, cause World Finals needs geometry. Maybe the best thing I can do is to make several Educational Geometry contests with strong test data.

Hope you guys achieve whatever you want!!
Don’t solve implementation tasks to much, better solve problems with ideas!

I’m not able to make CodeChefft better, sorry :frowning: unfortunately, there is a tradition: if there is an fft or hld then the problem is hard, but it’s not right. We forget about the creative thinking and logic…

If you have a nice problem idea, please resubmit,

Also, if you have a good candidate for being the long challenge admin, please write

P.S. Seems I’m not healthy enough to be the admin

18 Likes

I don’t know what you are talking about. I have been loving Codechef contests more than ever since last year. Also Discuss forums have become waaaaay better than what they were earlier.

I have been active on Codechef since 2016 and I feel that it has come a long way from where it was back then. I’m sure you’ve played a vital role in helping it to improve. No platform is perfect. What matters is that a platform doesn’t stop improving.

5 Likes

Yes, the contests organization was the nightmare. Problems added during the contest a year ago… That’s why I decided to go as the admin. Unfortunately, all I could is to allow all the problems to be on time. Weak tests left, also the lack of creative problems… Maybe another admin will have more connections with the nice setters

Yes, the system is improving, but I feel like I can’t find good hard problems in proposals :frowning:

I asked Um_nik if he wants to be the Long challenge admin: he asked to use the system Polygon instead of campus.codechef.com

Yes, there were 2 experiments in the last 2 longs: interactive problems and observations problems. Unfortunately, there is not many such problems, almost every problem is implementing something. I have no idea where to take the problems required thinking. Cause people have the stereotypical view: CodeChef = implementation

It’s alright Misha. Cheer up. Go get some sleep or listen to some music or watch your favourite movie or go on a short trip. Clear up your mind. Remind yourself the reason why you do what you do. CP teaches us that after a bad contest we wake up stronger the next day and practice harder. I’m sure you know this well. Take care :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the warm words :slight_smile:
Hope you’ll find yourself and be happy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I'm sorry for the quotes, unfortunately, it's not possible to struggle with weak tests with the slow system.
I cannot recall what you are saying.

Maybe I missed something, sorry beforehand..
Yes, You missed something. I loved all those longs except your two experiments :).
So, you should say sorry for those 10 beautiful long challenges which I participated.
Long was my favourite among long,cookoff,ltime and cf rounds (only contests which I took part).
Proof - Just check my long Graph. Monotonically increasing in contests which I seriously took part.
It was long which pushed me from 1star to 6star.

I'm sorry for the Snackdown elimination, seems it really was the worst contest ever..
I wasn’t qualified ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Weak Mind Admin => Binary Search DownVote button. Press it.

Maybe the best thing I can do is to make several Educational Geometry contests with strong test data.
Will love to participate.

I love longs because practically I have Inf. time to find a soln.
I will miss those chit chats xD.
Will definitely miss you. Waiting for a comeback.

2 Likes

if there is an fft or hld then the problem is hard
I’m searching for an hld task for a while. So that I can submit. Because found hld task in Long which I participated. And I want to see one hld task :stuck_out_tongue:

I mean I have no idea how to use all corner cases for easy problems in 1-2 tests against 17.5k participants. As far as I know SPOJ can’t handle scaling, that’s why we’re not allowed to have many TC cause the queue and other things.

Haha xD glad to hear that! :slight_smile: Yes, your progress is reasonable, I see many guys who solved longs grew up, glad to see YashChandnani progress

Yeah, the wrong statement and googleable problems turned out into the bad contest. Unfortunately, there is not many setters. :frowning:

Binary search interactive :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, be careful, I’ll be back :slight_smile:

1 Like

There was one hld in May, one hld in June, and one more hld in August: RIVER, I recommend you to solve RIVER, it’s the most interesting Hld task of these three

2 Likes
I'm notifying that I decided to left the position of CC long challenges. SORRY!!

Tuck you. I was having such a great day :frowning:

I'm sorry for the NP-hard task, but it was better than fft

:frowning:

I'm sorry for the trading challenge, I tried to show for everyone what trading is

I'm sorry for the quotes, unfortunately, it's not possible to struggle with weak tests with the slow system

You never gave a good quote to me T_T

I'm sorry for the unfresh ideas. The many good ideas is not new

Nothing can be fresh with already so many problems in competitive coding archive.

I'm sorry for the Snackdown elimination, seems it really was the worst contest ever..

As I said, {\Huge {\frac{dK}{dC}}=0}

Maybe I missed something, sorry beforehand..

Yes you frickin missed it. You broke my heart < / 3 .

I still remember - we both ebgan our journeys together :). Your first time as contest admin, my first time as official editorialist. Now Chef Vijju’s Corner will never be the same without the great eye who-sees-everything-except-when-I-replace-10^{-6}-with-10^6

I wish I can convince you to stay :(. I really dont know what you’re talking about when you say you failed to make long interesting - you dont have any control over the problems proposed. I wish you could change your mind :(.

However, I wish you all the best in whatever you chose to do :slight_smile: You’d rock it, I am sure of that!

7 Likes

Do not leave like this. You did a lot of good work too. Long challenge in january was not as good as others but you are doing a good job. We only want balanced short contests.

2 Likes

Don’t leave

No, please don’t leave. You have been doing a great job. We people have been getting some really good problems to solve and the explanation of problems too.

2 Likes

Just wondering why Codechef can’t speed up its system. Codeforces was developed by 1 or 2 people and now it can handle short contests with 10000 participants and has about 10 pretests in the easiest problems (which get the largest number of submissions). Also Codechef must have some sponsors because it gives money prizes in Long contests and pays the problem setters more. So I don’t see any reasons for having so slow system and this ugly website for so long time. Buy machines to have more invokers, rewrite the website.

8 Likes

I would suggest you to be one of the admins for sure.

Seems I’m not a good admin, I couldn’t find good hard problems and organize the people as well, but yes, the system is quite old and needs to be improved.

I heard that discuss will move to discord, maybe it happened as well.

So, yes, the one of the main problems is the absence of the good hard problems (I don’t take hld/fft/other heavy-to-implement stuff to the account),
For the long challenges: it’s a tie-breaker. Many of guys don’t want to participate, cause it’s boring to solve it. I suggested to make the contests educational(problemsetting-free and use the prizes 750-500-250$ for the first-to-solve except the tie-breaker instead of the payments to the problemsetters, this proposal was rejected)

There is not many new ideas from 2014-2015 years and the system isn’t well-defined.

Thanks! I would love to prepare the Educational contests with prizes for free.

4 Likes

I was not good problemsetter, cause adding persistence to the problems doesn’t make them interesting.

Unfortunately, it’s not OK overall.

I would love to host Educational contests on CodeChef.

How do you like the idea of educational contests with prizes?

1 Like

The hosting of Snackdown worth 200k $. But the problemsetters would choose TopCoder or atcoder, we should have the setters from atcoder or so…