Wrong Judgement Regarding Compression Algorithm (ICPC 2017)

Issue :Wrong Judgement Regarding Compression Algorithm (ICPC 2017)

We have checked our code against an AC code of my friend on many randomly generated test files and checked the absolute error of 10^-6 and our code passes every file generated.

I was continuously getting WA on the solution which was first submitted 1 hour 53 minutes into the contest.Due to this we could not attempt further questions in-spite of having 1.5 hours remaining.

This seems a serious issue regarding ICPC selection procedure and appears to be a problem with many other contestants. So I would request Codechef to look into the matter seriously and get the results updated.

Submission Id (in case @admin wants it):16117665

28 Likes

Also this kind of a problem totally ruins the ranklist. Most of the cases people will fail to qualify for a regional just for this error. Things need to be sorted out.

17 Likes

Exactly, the time wasted could have been used for the 4th and 5th problem

3 Likes

I checked my AC code against my own WA code and found no differences on all possible inputs (1-1e9,1-1e9) took a while to run but I still don’t know how and why it shows WA

4 Likes

We can still qualify for kharagpur site if this issue is solved so it is a request that @admin please look into the matter

6 Likes

@admin please look into the matter. The issue is quite serious. The submission of our team is provided above.

9 Likes

i wasted 2 hours getting WA on this question. Now, trusting the problemsetters checker code, I thought my solution was wrong. We would have qualified easily if this bug wasn’t there :frowning:

6 Likes

hey, do drop a mail at [email protected] (just in case they publish results before looking at discuss)

3 Likes

already done

2 Likes

Should We have another regional qualification round, given these many factors: - Wrong Judgement of Compression Algorithm - Lag of Judgement on 2nd problem.

These are some serious issues which force team to change their strategy and let external factors control a programming contest.

3 Likes

Last year, a even serious fuck-up happened where teams claimed that they were logged out, couldnt access contest in last half and hour. Not sure how true it is, or how exaggerated, but thing is, such a serious thing happened- and no re-contest was held afaik.

3 Likes

Same issue faced by our team too. We were trying to find errors in our code but could not find any as there were bugs in the checker code.

4 Likes

For this input:

909709045 813851340

Your output:

Friend’s output:

Expected output:

You can verify that your friend’s code gives output within the expected error bound, but not your code. Hope that resolves your issue.

8 Likes

Hm… The thing to notice here is that the absolute error here > 10^{-6}, but the relative error (obviously) is < 10^{-6}. So, can problem setter explain his intention behind why he chose his checker based on absolute error and not relative error? Clearly, all problems, which demands a certain degree of precision always chose to judge their solution on basis of relative error which is \frac{|A - B|}{max(1, A)}. My team was not affected, but we just got lucky I guess. To me, it seems ignorant on the problem setters part.

3 Likes

The solutions should be rejudged and ranklist should be updated accordingly…Why wait for the next time??

3 Likes

@admin we have tested our code on this particular test case in our local compiler(CodeBlocks).

Our output: 1819418087.764435

Expected output: 1819418087.764434

Our code gives output within the expected error bound

This is the screenshot of our local compiler with the given output.

Screenshot

5 Likes

I didnt get AC just bcoz i used setprecision(10), setprecision(20) is AC

2 Likes

@admin even our code (submission id: 16117083) gives correct output 1819418087.764435. But we got WA.

Our code (submission id: 16125742) gives the Expected output: 1819418087.764434 for the sample input mentioned above by the admin, still we got WA. Please rejudge the submissions. We got 3 penalties because of this issue.

2 Likes

@aashrayagarwal ,can you check your code on codechef IDE and tell the results? Because codeblocks environment is different from judge environment.