WHICH IS THE BEST PLACE FOR PRACTICE??..help

please tell me which competative site is best for practicing?? i m fedup practicing in codechef…i m spending days on problems to find errors and posting doubts without replies… lot many proplems i have to give up…i bileve learining form mistakes is the best…i don c any use unless i am not able to find mistakes in my code…why codechef is not showing testcase on which code is getting wrong while practicing??it wud be realyy great if codechef can add this feature…i love codechef in its simplicity and the way it is…but it s realy frustrating to spend days on codes and have to give up without earning anything…
SO PLEASE SUGGEST ME IF THER S ANY BETTER SITES TO PRACTICE WHICH TELLS THE TEST CASES ON WHICH CODES GIVES WRONG OUTPUT…thanks

3 Likes

Try Codeforces…Splendid editorials and it gives you the test case where your code faltered to give correct answer.!!..Perhaps its the best so far i have come across!!

4 Likes

Try keeping patience if you are unable to find the test cases. Publising or not publishing has been an issue before also, but its more beneficial if you yourself find and fix bugs. Test your code for all cases you can think of and ask on forum.

@rishabh1994: what is wrong with this answer??
Why did you down-vote??

what about topcoder??do it shows the testcase where code went wrong?

@chaseme, yes topcoder also shows the test case where it went wrong

do codeforces and topcoder, that will save you lot of time.

Also, in topcoder, you dont have to worry about taking input and printing output, you only need to concentrate on the logic. You just need to fill in code in a method
The editorials of both the sites are awesome

Codeforces and topcoder problems concentrate more on the logic than petty worst case test cases like codechef

Codeforces -> very good quality problems, focussing more on the algorithm

Topcoder arena is a bit irritating, but the quality of problems is top notch

1 Like

thankyou :slight_smile:

because codechef is better…giving testcases doesnt improve debugging skills.

1 Like

Sicne test cases aren’t given after the contest, a more productive strategy is not upsolving here. For example, ANUDTQ from May Challenge. I had a code that ran well on at least some large test cases and then got WA. It’s clear that there’s no idea error, and since the test case/s where it fails are large and the code is long and ugly, then it’d be extremely difficult and long for me to find the error without test cases, so it’s not worth doing. I would’ve liked to find the mistake, but I have to give up on it due to Codechef’s policy.

3 Likes

Codechef is like hell for the beginners, it takes lot of time for them to understand the cause (in their code) of TLE or a WA or some other SEG errors.

@rishab1994 : Thats up to you for how long you intend to debug.But with the format of code forces you have at least got a choice…as @xellos0 said every question is not a mere 30-40 line debugging piece of code…and because of this sometimes u get too irritated to continue with the problem…i suppose time is at a premium for all…every platform(e.g… topcoder, code chef, codeforces) has its merits…its up to you to decide for yourself ultimately, I just gave my transparent answer. :slight_smile: