Unfair Karma System

I would like to propose a system where members even with 1 karma point are allowed to ask their questions as separate posts and not as comment’s on others posts where they are sometimes ignored as they are not even seen there.
I’ve been an active user of CodeChef since Oct,15 and there have been many times when I’ve been really confused and frustrated due
to this karma system as I couldn’t ask any of my doubts or queries at the discussion forum because minimum required points to even ask a question are 3 . It 's like a dumb boy waiting in the class so that someone would ask the same doubt or question he has so that he does not have to face the teacher.
Rather here he is not allowed to talk to the teacher and keeps waiting.
I think this forum is not a place where only geeks should talk or ask their questions, it’s a place where all learners should ask, ask, ask and learn more and more. Who
more than a newbie to competitive programming requires help, or gets confused.
Please @admin look into this matter as soon as possible.
Meanwhile all members who have 1 karma points and want to ask some questions and are not able to do so can comment below, and I would request
all members who are reading this post to give them at least 1 upvote so that they do not face this problem anymore if
that does not violate any rules or regulations of the forum.

6 Likes

Yes, I agree with you. I have also faced this situation before. Codechef should provide atleast 3 karma initially which is the minimum to ask questions. And if their question gets downvoted they will automatically not able to ask again till they gain the minimum karma again, making the system fair enough. Please comment on this you have some extra suggestions or correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

Edit: A new idea has hit me so I’m updating this answer. I think a good solution to this will be a ASK ME ANYTHING session held once in a month where the top coders will be answering doubts and questions. Through this I think beginners can benefit a lot. We can do live discussion on problems from the long challenge,cookoffs etc whose editorials were confusing or missing. Please post what you guys think of this.

3 Likes

Yes, I also agree with you too. It is really frustrating, if you want to ask a question, but you are not able to do that. I agree with your suggestion and think it is a very good idea.

3 Likes

This had happened to me too I had to post something but was unable to do so because I hadn,t got enough Karma Points. So, I think the same as mentioned in above comments that initial karma shoulb be 1 for all users as getting an upvote on an answer for a beginner is not easy.

2 Likes

I know that feel bro :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am relatively new, but I can see, that you are absolutely right. Its frustrating, that you cant ask questions, if you havent got enough karma.

5 Likes

full support brother

5 Likes

Since I am not allowed to ask question because of 1 karma, can someone please list all the ways for anyone new to reach karma 3 ? Apologies for putting this up here but I don’t have any other option.

2 Likes

accio
There are different possibilities to get karma. In the link below, there is written how to get karma. One way is to get up votes. I up voted you, so now should you be able to ask questions.

https://blog.codechef.com/2014/11/18/the-new-karma-system/

1 Like

yup its a big deal of problem not able to ask questions :frowning: coz of karma

5 Likes

@nuboro Thank you very much for both the upvote and the link. Though can’t upvote but really appreciate the gesture.

1 Like

can somebody upvote so that i acn increase my karma points…have lots of questions to ask.please.

7 Likes

To me too please.

4 Likes

same problem with me too brother.can somebody upvote so that i can increase my karma points…have lots of questions to ask.please.

3 Likes

seriously… i went through same trouble…chef please relax such rules!

1 Like

Please upvote me i have doubts to ask.

Thanks.

4 Likes

I also feel so,as i also not having karma Points and not able to ask Question!

4 Likes

The karma system is completely fair. Yes the starting karma is 1 and this raises issues for beginners. But that also prevents users to spam the discuss section by creating fake identities. You need to work a little on your account and prove that you are serious towards codechef. Its not difficult to raise karma, if you are kind and smart enough!

Yes, anyone must be allowed to ask questions but how would you check if the user is genuine? In your hypothesis, if all the students are allowed to ask, what if there are some mischievous children? People at codechef have to keep their forum clean so that at least the people with some karma get their answers correctly. If karma to ask question is decreased to 1, the quality of the questions and answers would take a hit too.

Happy Coding!

1 Like

Yes, they would not be able to do their same id. What is someone is dedicated to spam the codechef discussion section. They will basically create many ids and spam it. Although you are correct, but we have to take care of security too.

yes me too it should be changed…

7 Likes