Contest

Author : Vikesh Tiwari

Editorialist: Vikesh Tiwari

DIFFICULTY

medium-hard

PREREQUISITES

data structures,maths, number theory

PROBLEM

Chef has list of all Fibonacci Numbers but in modulo 1013. This list in infinite.

We know that Fibonacci sequence starts with 0 and 1. So in this list each number apart from first two, is sum of previous two numbers modulo 1013.

ex : (a+b)mod 1013.

So beginning of the list looks like : 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, …

Now you’re given an integer n, find first occurrence of n in the given list. (0-indexed)

EXPLANATION

Main idea: baby-step-giant-step.

In this problem we had some Fibonacci number modulo 1013, and we had to determine the position of its first occurence in Fibonacci sequence modulo 1013.

• Let a and b be two different coprime modula — divisors of 1013.
  • Let F be the actual Fibonacci number such that ![](upload://3LNyikkcBxGm3RPCgaKQHuFcVMy.png). Then ![](upload://q6AN6pSCQgC07zs4Pt5jFqqCfQP.png) and ![](upload://9MPodN56btnjkkptvWShVO6fS8x.png).
  • Find all occurences of number ![](upload://7j0FSlCtNOf37zXEo69bCJODtIU.png) in Fibonacci sequence modulo a period.
  • Find all occurences of number ![](upload://yCIivz5spxFsopfMaqWlvh4eQyz.png) in Fibonacci sequence modulo bperiod.
  • Let's fix a pair of such occurences. Let the occurence modulo a be in position i, and the occurence modulo b be in position j.
  • Let t(m)be Fibonacci sequence modulom period.
  • From the Chinese Remainder Theorem, it follows that t(ab) = LCM(t(a), t(b)) (remember that a and b are coprime).
  • Then from fixed occurences of f in periods of sequences modulo a and b we can recover the position of occurence of f in period of sequence modulo ab. It could be done by solving the following Diophantine equation: i + t(a) * x = j + t(b) * y. We can solve it using a simple bruteforce of one of the roots.
  • If the occurence in sequence modulo ab period ( we have just found it) is u, then every occurence f in Fibonacci sequence modulo 1013 period can be represented as t(ab) * k + u. Then let's bruteforce k and find all occurences in sequence modulo 1013 period. To determine Fibonacci number on position α + t(ab) from known Fibonacci number on position α, we need to multiply the vector (Fα, Fα + 1) and some matrix.
  • Let's choose a = 59 and b = 213. Note that there is no number that occur Fibonacci sequence modulo a or b period more than 8 times. That means that total count of pairs will never be greater than 64. For each occurence we'll bruteforce not more than ![](upload://7kBMc0Dk6gHlbkEnAd0S6aIpTbC.png) numbers. That was the author's solution.

Also that was possible to use the fact that for any number the count of its occurences in period of sequence modulo <span tex-span">10<sup upper-index">p (for any natural <span tex-span">p) is not big more efficiently. From occurences in sequence modulo <span tex-span">10<sup upper-index">i period we could get occurences in sequence modulo <span tex-span">10<sup upper-index">i + 1 period using the method we use to jump from modulus <span tex-span">ab to modulus <span tex-span">10<sup upper-index">13.

C++ Code

//Strange Fibonacci
//Fibonacci Using Matrix 
#include<cstdio>
#include<cstring>
typedef long long ll;
ll mod,ans[1000],res[1000];
ll mul(ll a,ll b){
	return b==0?0:((mul(a,b>>16)<<16)+a*(b&(1<<16)-1))%mod;
}
void mul(ll f[2][2],ll g[2][2]){
	ll a[2][2];