Ratings over Learning?

There are many better options than ideone in this regard. Codechef IDE, or any other website’s ide which lets you test code should serve the purpose.

I agree and see your perspective dear. But read @swapnilrustagi 's argument- thats the sole crux of the rules.

While systems like Stanford's MOSS can detect direct copy-paste codes, it is necessary to remember that those who know basic programming also, can take the code and just change the structure of the program a bit (like moving some code over to a function) and get by without getting detected.

I mean to say once a solution is publicly available, there are definitely ways to copy it without getting detected. So, it is necessary to discourage public availability of solutions.
2 Likes

Codechef ide being slow during short contests- thats not the issue of IDE but of submission queue. The code we compile, and the codes submitted for problems goto same judge- so if problems have some queue then your code gonna take some time.

That said, I suggest trying out ide of other sites like codeforces.

1 Like

Running code in code-section of any hackerrank problem is the best.

2 Likes

@nikesh_04
It is sometimes possible that the person who submitted later is not the real culprit. Because the person who writes soln checks his soln whether correct/not 100 times before attempting to submit on long challenge. But if culprit know that person who submit later will be penalized then he will submit it immediately. And hence this will not serve the purpose. And who knows this may have happened with someone.

1 Like

According to me the first submission should be taken into consideration and the code with same approach submitted later on should be penalized. Well rating is matter of show off and people love to do either by hook or by crook, after all bravo i am such a level coder. College popularity , friends being amazed all the stardom matters buddy. So they prefer rating over learning but ignore the future loss.

2 Likes

lol@ii_siddharth

@aryanc403 I don’t agree with you. Atleast it is not the case with long challenge on codechef, hackerrank, hackerearth etc. Here(on codechef) the number of submission do not matter. The thing that matter is your successful submission and it’s time.

1 Like

Well, Ideone has the option to make your code private and we can use that after signing up which will secure code from plagiarism :slight_smile:

Happy Coding!

2 Likes

Yes, this is very true. Unfortunately, many new members of the platform are diminishing the true essence of the platform by such acts.

Considering how competitive the scenario is, it should always be kept in mind that Codechef is just an online platform for testing how better one is at solving problems. There is whole world beyond that, just the rating isn’t a yardstick for the same.

I sincerely hope that such acts are dealt strictly with in the future.

2 Likes

@ii_siddharth,
all you said is “think before you accuse someone” and some other general stuffs
but you didnt clear the doubt that what happened really
am not holding you as guilty
tell the truth. what happened??
how ur codes are similar??
did you use any online ide?? or shared ur code with someone??

or running the code in codeforces custom invocation.
its also best and i seem to use it frequently

I want to upvote this so desperately but I don’t have enough karma points.

1 Like

Please guys have a sense of difference between answer and comment. If all you want to say is “Great job” dude, then please make it as a comment. Makes job easier for us. Thank yoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is how a newbie learns :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t use ideone. I’ve never been a fan of it. Mostly I just code on my computer. If it happens to be a very simple problem I don’t save the code onto my computer: I use this service called repl.it. I really like repl.it, much better than that useless thing called ideone.