Learning Python from scrap

Hii guys,
I want to learn Python and need help regarding this! I am inexperienced with Python and want to learn it from scrap. It would be great if some of the more experienced Python users can point out some tutorials or sites for learning Python!
Also I found there are many version of Python like Python 2, Python 3,PyPy etc. Which one is better to learn? Are they enhancements of some older version like C++14 being newer version of C++11?

Thanks for the help in advance :slight_smile:

@meooow be savage again :stuck_out_tongue:

First of all try to learn the python 2.7 version. One of best tutorials I have found is this. You can learn python very fast from codeacademy.
First install python from here.

Then you can start learning python. One of the best advantage of using python is you can download all the libraries easily using pip command. It makes life much easier. Other uses of python are Web scrapping,Data Analysis, Machine Learning, Image processing etc. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the help!
What about competitive coding? Which version is best suited for it?

@dishant_18 it all depends on what you want to do with Python. First about Python 2 vs Python 3 read this, and as stated here “Python 2.x is legacy, Python 3.x is the present and future of the language”. There are only a few changes to the Python 2 syntax in Python 3 along with a bunch of new features.

When it comes to competitive programming however, they function pretty much the same. I use Python 3, and I didn’t learn it from any particular site, just the Python docs and Google searches for something particular when required. It’s a simple language so I don’t think anything more is necessary. The primary upside to using Python is a lot less typing :D, because there are so many features that make it easy to use. The downside is the slow speed, and a very specific thing which is the absence of a sorted set/map.

PyPy is a fast implementation of Python, so it is surely the best choice of Python compiler for competitive programming. As of now CodeChef does not support the PyPy compiler for Python 3 so if you use PyPy you have to write Python 2 code.

@phben is one of the best programmers here who I have noticed regularly uses Python. You can see his solutions if you like. There’s also @mathecodician and myself who often use Python. That’s it, and good luck!

3 Likes

Exactly the kind of answer I was looking for!! Thank you :slight_smile:

Just another question!! Python is used often in Machine Learning. Is there any specific version important for it and any prerequisites? Thanks again!

For machine learning it depends on which version is supported by the modules you plan to use. The commonly used ones like numpy, scipy, skicit-learn, etc all support Python 3, but if you’re stuck with something that doesn’t, then you would have to use Python 2. But really I am no expert in this :stuck_out_tongue: