Ideas for a Graphic Project

Hey,
I’m a high school student with some level of mastery over java. I want to study computer science further on, and I would like to do a CS project to showcase my passion to different colleges. But here comes the problem.
I guess I have an awesome idea, but I don’t know how to go about it.

I kinda know drawing. I have been learning it for quite some years now. And when people draw characters, the main problem they have is making the poses, and viewing the pose from different perspectives. So I was thinking if I could make a software that would have say, a flexible 3-d stick figure kind of thing and you can change the pose of the character based on real life biology (like joint movements) and then change the camera angles from which it is viewed upon (like in 3-d modelling software), and then when the artist is happy with the pose, he presses something and it gets converted into a 2-d outline. Then the artist can add details to the character. Plus, if this idea works, we can also make something which would add say variations, like fatness depending on actual regions where fat can be added. Or like height. How proportions change based on height.

Is it possible, or is it too far fetched for me? I know that I can’t make the actual drawing software, so I was thinking if I could make an add on for photoshop or something.

Can someone please help me, and maybe be my adviser or something for the project? Or maybe give me some helpful resources? I can learn something new if I have to, so that’s not a problem. I really, really want to do this. Any help is appreciated.

You say you have “some level of mastery over java” - How much is it? From rest of your question I can guess that it isn’t much.

I don’t want to discourage you but if you say things like-

• I guess I have an awesome idea, but I don’t know how to go about it
  • … he presses something …

than it is indeed too far fetched for you :frowning:

What you should do is start with small and reasonable project. Gain knowledge and skill and move on to more complex projects. By then you will be able to decide better.

But since you have asked it on Codechef, a must give advice is - Solve problems on Codechef to become competent in algorithms and data structures. This will make you a much better programmer. Most importantly it is an important part of Computer Science Engineering.

4 Likes

I think you have misunderstood me. When I say he presses something, I mean there is gonna be an icon which he presses, or a keyboard shortcut for it. And when I say I don’t know how to go about it, I mean I have never done this kind of a project before so I need a place to start. Well, I do admit that I don’t have like complete knowledge over java, but I have done small short projects live solving the knight’s movement problem (in which the knight begins in an arbitrary position on the chessboard and then covers the entire board in the smallest possible number of moves.)

@narutogohan: I maybe wrong in estimating your abilities, but my advise remains same - First Small Projects - then think about bigger ones.

I am not saying that you can’t do your “graphics projects”, you can - but not yet. You may still try if you want. No harm.

How about making a Tetris (or some other 2D game) first?

@narutogohan : You can use “Processing” software by MIT to create stunning graphics very easily and also auto-generate code for that and make it part of the larger application . However , if you are planning something like “Age of Empires” it will take too much more ( more man hours , perhaps not a one person job ) .

Hi, I am junior Graphic Designer with writing blog. If you’re looking for a good bridge between Graphic Design and coding, I would push a new user to http://graphickickstartreview.com/tag/graphic-by-Mark-Thompson/
Hope this helps!