Final App: Codechef Social (iOS and Android)

Team: chhole_bhature, members: Tanmay Datta, Haider Ali

App name: Codechef Social

App tagline: Let us socialize Codechef

Features:

• Available on both iOS and Android
  • Friends - Add/Remove/Update Friend sets .
  • News Feed - Content Info and friends activity .
  • Chat - Real time chat with any Codechef Social user.
  • Notifications - Reminders and live contest submissions of friends in live contest via push notifications .
  • Contest list - Contest page with list of problems .
  • Tags - Get All the tags and all problems under any given tag .
  • Todos - Add/Remove/Update Todos .
  • User Profile Pages - Easy Access to profile of any user .
  • Compare - Compare profiles of any 2 codechef users .
  • Ratings - Access Ratings of any user, in any contest type .
  • Problems - View the problem statements anywhere anytime (Rendered Perfectly) .
  • Submissions - View submissions of friends right in your mobile .

Note: The home feed shows the submissions of your friends and upcoming contests (to be started in few hours). I see that new users have signed up and have started using the app but they are not able to see any feed. Feed will come when you add some user in a set. Also if you have any queries please email me at [email protected]. Also disable battery optimization for the app if you want to receive notifications even when the app is killed.

Screenshots

Presentation

Video

UI code repo

Backend code repo

Android App

iOS App

EDIT: Server url is changed to the 3rd set of alibaba resources. Please download the app again (for android) and install. For iOS, the app is under review, once it is approved by Apple you can update via App Store.

3 Likes

Note: The home feed shows the submissions of your friends and upcoming contests (to be started in few hours). I see that new users have signed up and have started using the app but they are not able to see any feed. Feed will come when you add some user in a set. Also if you have any queries please email me at [email protected]. Also disable battery optimization for the app if you want to receive notifications even when the app is killed.

Nice work, the app reflects how much effort and time has been put into it, kudos to you guys. Though I think that it would have been better if we could do this on the site itself rather than on the app, because for solving problems we do have to go to the site anyways so it may act as a suggestion :slight_smile:

@sweta_sinha

There are 2 things which we decided on.

• Most users will not code on the phone
  • There should be a mobile app for codechef.

Considering this, we implement as much as possible we could, in the given time. You are right in saying that it would have been better on the website, but our aim was to engage the user while he/she does other things. For example getting a notification if a friend makes a submission in an ongoing contest, contest reminders etc. Phone is one such thing which a person has with him always, so we decided to make an app(also that codechef doesn’t have one) instead of a website.

If our idea is taken into consideration then definitely a web version will also be made.

PS: Thanks for your comment.