Compilation error using iostream.h and conio.h

I wrote my first program in c++ and ended up with this compilation error, please help me out.

In file included from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux/4.0.1/../../../../include/c++/4.0.1/backward/iostream.h:31, from prog.cpp:1: /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux/4.0.1/../../../../include/c++/4.0.1/backward/backward_warning.h:32:2: warning: #warning This file includes at least one deprecated or antiquated header. Please consider using one of the 32 headers found in section 17.4.1.2 of the C++ standard. Examples include substituting the header for the header for C++ includes, or instead of the deprecated header . To disable this warning use -Wno-deprecated. prog.cpp:2:18: error: conio.h: No such file or directory prog.cpp:11:4: warning: no newline at end of file prog.cpp:3: error: '::main' must return 'int' prog.cpp: In function 'int main()': prog.cpp:4: error: 'clrscr' was not declared in this scope prog.cpp:10: error: 'getch' was not declared in this scope
1 Like

@nsingh1995 >> You are using outdated style for headers. Moreover conio.h is not a standard header file. Refer to [this][1]

EDIT: See how I have modified your

[2], which is now correct!

#include<iostream>       // No iostream.h after standardization of C++
    using namespace std;     // the standard namespace, read more about namespace on the internet
                             // or just assume for the time being that you have to write this for
                             // being able to use cout and cin

int main() {             // int main() is the proper definition of main() in C++
        int n;
        cin>>n;
        while(!(n==42)) {
            cout<<n<<endl;  // a new line after each output, similar to printf("%d\n", n);
                            // endl is similar to the '\n'
            cin>>n;
        }
                            // No clrscr(), no getch() as they are both included in conio.h
                            // which is not a standard header file, so we omit both!
                            // you can use a dummy variable to hold the screen as you've asked
                            // int fake_variable; cin>>fake_variable;
        return 0;
    }

[1]: http://discuss.codechef.com/questions/10195/compilation-error-which-using-iostreamh-and-conioh-in-c/10198
  [2]: http://www.codechef.com/viewsolution/2177300
4 Likes

thanku for thisā€¦:stuck_out_tongue:
so how am i supposd to hold the o/p screen?can u link me to somthin to get updated with this standardisationā€¦i learnt these header file in my +1 nd now i hav just done my 1st yr so mayb iv forgotten many thingsā€¦the second line i hv nevr seen this kinda thing will i have to use this in my evry program?
help will really be appreciated

try system(ā€œPAUSEā€) instead of getch()

1 Like

Modified the code again with answer to your query.
For other queries, I would recommend download ā€œThe C++ Programming Languageā€ by Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of C++. And, keep practicing the problems here, and asking just like you did :slight_smile:

#include
using namespace std; // important to use as for ansi c
int main()
{
int i,n;
cin >> n ;
for(i=1;i<=n;i++)
{
cout <<" Value of i " << i << endl;
}
return 0 ;
}