Colorful Knapsack Problem (Directi Interview)

Looking for an approach to solve this problem :

You are given N stones, labeled from 1 to N. The i-th stone has the weight W[i]. There are M colors, labeled by integers from 1 to M. The i-th stone has the color C[i] (of course, an integer between 1 to M, inclusive). You want to fill a Knapsack with these stones. The Knapsack can hold a total weight of X. You want to select exactly M stones; one of each color. The sum of the weights of the stones must not exceed X. Since you paid a premium for a Knapsack with capacity X (as opposed to a Knapsack with a lower capacity), you want to fill the Knapsack as much as possible.
Write a program that takes all the above values as input and calculates the best way to fill the Knapsack – that is, the way that minimizes the unused capacity. Output this unused capacity.

Input

The first line of input contains the integer T, the number of test cases. Then follows the description of T test cases. The first line of each test case contains three integers, N, M and X, separated by singlespace. The next line contains N integers, W[1], W[2], W[3] … W[N], separated by single space. The next line contains N integers C[1], C[2], C[3] … C[N], separated by single space.

Output

An optimal way of filling the Knapsack minimizes unused capacity. There may be several optimal ways of filling the Knapsack. Output the unused capacity of the Knapsack (a single integer on a line by itself) for an optimal way. If there is no way to fill the Knapsack, output -1. Output T lines, one for each test case.

Constraints

1 ≤ T ≤ 10

1 ≤ M ≤ 100

M ≤ N ≤ 100

1 ≤ W[i] ≤ 100

1 ≤ C[i] ≤ M

1 ≤ X ≤ 10000

Sample Input

9 3 10

2 3 4 2 3 4 2 3 4

1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 3

9 3 10

1 3 5 1 3 5 1 3 5

1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 3

3 3 10

3 4 4

1 2 3

3 3 10

3 3 3

1 2 1

Sample Output

Can you please provide constraints? Also, Is is guaranteed that a stone of every color exist?

Everything is less than 100 I think.

@taran_1407 No, it is not.

We were asked the same problem in the online coding round. I solved it using dynamic programming.
Let dp[i][j] denote the maximum possible weight you can fill in the bag with total capacity of j using exactly one stone of each colour from 1 to i.
Now you can club all same coloured stones in a vector. Then this problem becomes more like a classical knapsack problem. Try thinking of transition now and if you still aren’t able to figure out, let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Better to tell it anyway for any guy who sees your answer in future and couldnt come up xD

Ok, so you can firstly fill the dp table with 0 value. After that, filling up the first row is trivial as well.
Now, you can iterate over all possible stones of all colour one by one and fill the table as :

for j = 1 to x:
    for i = 2 to colour_max:
        for weight_of_stone in stones_of_colour[i]:
           if(j > weight_of_stone && dp[i - 1][j - weight_of_stone] > 0)
              dp[i][j] = max(dp[i][j], dp[i - 1][j - weight_of_stone] + weight_of_stone);
        dp[i][j] = max(dp[i][j], dp[i][j - 1]);

Now you need to check dp[colour_max][x]. If it contains value 0, your answer will be -1. In all other cases, answer will be x - dp[colour_max][x].

The time complexity of the above solution will be O(Tnmx) ~ O(10^7) as nm is number of stones which is <= 100.

I know I am bad at explaining things, so in case I was not clear please let me know!

To do this question one needs to know how to solve classical 0/1 Knapsack problem. We will be using 2-D array for our DP solution. dp[i][j] will store the maximum possible weight when we have to choose exactly i stones of each different color and our knapsack weight is assumed to be of j weight. To get optimal value at dp[i][j] we will iterate through all available weights of color i. If we can choose weights from all colors dp[i][j] won’t be -1.

Here is the psuedo code:

for j from 1 to x:
	dp[1][j]=-1
	for weight in vector(1):
		if weight<=j:
			dp[1][j]=max(dp[1][j],weight)

for i from 2 to m:
	for j from 1 to x:
		dp[i][j]=-1
		if i>x:
			break
		for weight in vector(m):
			if j>weight && dp[i-1][j-weight]>0:
				dp[i][j]=max(dp[i][j],dp[i-1][j-weight]+weight)

For
9 3 10
2 3 4 2 3 4 2 3 4
1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 3

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
1 -1 2 3 4 5 5 5 5 5 5
2 -1 -1 -1 4 5 6 7 8 8 8
3 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 6 7 8 9 10

For
9 3 10
1 3 5 1 3 5 1 3 5
1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 3

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
1 1 1 3 3 5 5 5 5 5 5
2 -1 2 2 4 4 6 6 6 6 6
3 -1 -1 3 3 5 5 7 7 9 9

Note: We can reduce some computations by observations.

1 Like