Chef and Ridges

It’s my 4th day on this problem, I’m now bald and my wife left me. I literally tried everything on this problem.

Starting with the first thing that came up in my mind, to working with big numbers and finally to LITERALLY outputing the answers I MEASURED for the first 5 foldings.

I’ve read the problem again and again, bought all the paper my city had and tried folding them to observe the exact answer. Done this with all the paper in my country and when there was no paper left I went out in the woods, cut some trees and made my own paper and I still can’t seem to find the right answer.

God has abandoned me.

7 Likes

Ha, nice. That’s me on pretty much every contest. Well, keep at it, or come back to it later when the editorial is out.

1 Like

I surely won’t leave this unsolved.

1 Like

Feedback Forwarded to setting panel XD

4 Likes

C’mon… find another wife who will help you to solve this problem!! 18 hrs left…

7 Likes

@mgch - That amounts to cheating if his wife is also taking part in long :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@vijju123 “God has abandoned me.”

@mgch God may abandon him, but MOSS and penalty wont. >_<

2 Likes

Problem is not well explained and its vague. Test cases should be more than one at least. I commented multiple times but no response from admin. Super annoying. If somebody could help with N=3 at least I can get some idea.

“I’ve read the problem again and
again, bought all the paper my city
had and tried folding them to observe
the exact answer. Done this with all
the paper in my country and when there
was no paper left I went out in the
woods, cut some trees and made my own
paper and I still can’t seem to find
the right answer.”

You are not a solitary person trying to solve PRDRG in such a manner. #Same_here. Tried (almost) all possible combinations for N<=5 but it seems that chef isn’t happy with my recipe yet. :frowning:

1 Like

Since MOSS penalty guarantees nonnegative rating. So technically speaking MOSS penalty should not have any effect on unrated users.

1 Like

Hopefully, you leave enough trees for coming generations.

As for the problem, I sincerely wish you manage to solve this problem during the contest (with or without wife), and if not, I have written Editorial for this problem which may help you. :slight_smile:

Lastly, for god, I hope God will find in his heart to accept you back. :slight_smile:

Anything else?

2 Likes

@taran_1407 - Statistics feel theres at least one more person eagerly awaiting your editorials. :p. Or…perhaps not XD

1 Like

Yeah, if they had an example for n=3, that would’ve been great

What would be the answer for n=3 btw?

1 Like

problem not mentioned clearly, it took me 2 days to solve , after trying folding the paper in different ways ,I finally solved it. It was easy one to code, just find pattern how paper being folded.

1 Like

The problem is very easy to solve once you have understood it. The test cases aren’t very clear in explaining the problem. In this problem you have to find the distance of the latest ridge formed after n folds(order of folding is right to left then left to right) from the initial left side. Perform this on a paper. The solution becomes pretty clear.

Problem was super fine…and it’s good that setter has provided only 2 test cases…otherwise , problem could not make any sense. it would be easier to solve if n=3 also get provided.

I have also tried many times this question…but at last i got the pattern and simply solve it…( but i also spoiled 6-7 pages to understand the question ).

Must watch my solutions , i have literally solved for all values of n…

2 Likes

Holy Moly Brute Force xD

1 Like

LOL =)))))

1 Like