ZCO 2015 Discussion

@sampritipanda None Whatsoever!

The morning session was way easier.
One was a DP and the other was really also easy.

Afternoon the covering was a greedy.

But the rectangles one
… Ugh it was so bad.
I unfortunately gave the afternoon session and got only 1.

Wish I’d given the morning one.
I really I hope I get through :confused:

I had the option to choose between the morning and the afternoon session. I chose the afternoon session. And now I absolutely regret it. T_T I spent the whole three hours sending numerous solutions modifying minute things and tweaking but nothing worked. :frowning: And the morning session problems do seem a lot easier. At least that’s what I feel after reading the problem statements.

1 Like

Have you solved covering?

Please share the solution if you have solved Covering. @a1b413

2 Likes

I did the cover question very easy algorithm . got it in just last minutes . was doing a very bad bad error.12 attempts to reach a 100
Shit man seriosly should have given the morning question . Altough i was happy afternoon session had an adhoc problem .

Can you share your solution for covering?

Dont you think that the problems that appeared in the second session were many times more difficult than that of the first half. I think there ought to be more fairness in the evaluation procedure. Infact I think we ought to file a petetion against this. Please mail all your grievances to [email protected] also, we should get together and do something about it. All those who are like minded please email me: [email protected]
Thank you
A victim of ZCO afternoon session

@deepcoder18: You are right!

The cutoffs won’t be different for afternoon and morning sessions right?

They will be different. Probably 200 for us and 40 for you.

200 is too much I think.

Nah! Our questions were really easy. But, I surely think your and my cutoffs will be different.

Haha I took the morning session actually! Got 100/200.

I gave the afternoon session … @Organic-Shilling For Rectangles, I tried exactly the same method that you posted but it gave me correct in only two sub-test-cases so my total score was zero. I was pretty sure I got covering right, but here, my solution must have been far too long as I got TLE in all except one, which was the very first one which gave correct.

Was your solution for covering bruteforce?

More or less. What I did was, start with any range, not covered, find the number in this range which covers max no. of other ranges, mark them as selected, repeat until all are selected. Maybe it’s not a correct solution, but this is all I could think of.

I don’t think 40 is a fair cut off. I solved both the questions of the morning session today with a stopwatch on, and it took me one hour and twenty minutes for both of them, with no extra help whatsoever. Which is when DP isn’t really my bailiwick.

IMHO, getting a perfect score on the morning session was significantly easier than getting a non-zero one in the afternoon session.

1 Like

Covering can be solved with a greedy approach where for every interval you check whether there is any number that is already picked in some earlier chosen interval such that it lies between the current interval and if not you always add the rightmost number of the interval to the set of picked numbers.
Complexity: O(n^2)

P.S Sort the intervals in increasing order of its rightmost number.

3 Likes

Does anyone know when the results are going to be out?