Unofficial Editorials November Long Challenge (Part 2)

I would not always say to avoid recursive ones, but constraints were too tight for this problem. Iterative is a little bit faster, for ur power left function.

U may try making it iterative.

Try using arrays in place of vectorsā€¦

Hopefully that works because arrays tend to be faster than vectors.

Mate, ur complexity may be QlogN, but in some problems, u also have to take care of constant factor associated, which i believe, is the reason of tle.

are you going to do part 3 as well?

@codent47 Always consider using iteration instead of recursion wherever possible. Infact you can do that for all your three power functions, I am pretty sure, it would pass then. And also consider using Fast I/Os in such questions where TL is too strict.

Also try using arrays instead of vectors, vectors are a bit slower than arrays.

1 Like

I read the comments and came to know that many people were doing the same thing as suggested in the editorial,but still getting TLE.

I was having the same problem during the contest. And finally the only thing which solved my problem was 1-based indexing.

Because of 1-based indexing the if-else condition in query part (for checking left > 0 or not) can be avoided and hence the total time will decrease by some factor within the query. And there you go AC. Hope it helps :slight_smile:

For reference check by submissions :

1. TLE (0-based indexing) : 0 marks

2. AC (1-based indexing with FAST IO) : 100 marks

2 Likes

Honestly, I feel that setter and tester were extremely wrong in setting the time limit. I wonder how much time setterā€™s code takes to run, cause if its something like 3.8-3.9seconds, then time limit is wrongly put.

Saying because, languages like java etc. got accepted (time bonus), while c++ got tle.

1 Like

Can anybody tell me why my this code got WA for CSUBQ problem? It was a just simple algorithm to pass first two test cases by seeing the pattern but it failed donā€™t know why. link

Nice use of binary search. :slight_smile: @eugait

Really @vijju123??

Is this the case?? Are the solutions with same approach but different languages are getting different verdicts?? This is a matter of serious concern as this would cause unfair advantage to some. I would really hate this if something of this sort happens.

I guess this need strict action. Perhaps it should be made responsibility of problem tester to solve the problem with same approach using c++, python(PYPY or CPYTH) and Java, for these three languages are most popular ones. Hope this matter wonā€™t go unnoticed.

Maybe vectors are the reason. Rest i didnā€™t exactly got the gist of your solution. Maybe u should try same solution using arrays, or add a bit of explanation about ur approach

I am not able to solve any of the last three problems (full solution). But i have texted someone to explain me approach of POLY. Whenever that person replies, iā€™ll solve the problem and then write editorial.

Waiting for that personā€™s reply. :slight_smile:

If you can find anyone willing to explain his approach to me, i would be glad to write an editorial on any of last three problems and give him due credit as well.

I have done everything that is told in the tutorials and still getting tle. Can anyone suggest any modification?
solution: https://www.codechef.com/viewsolution/16269941
Thanks in advanceā€¦

Setterā€™s solution runs in 2.5 secondsā€¦horror

@vijju123, Unluckily, That person got some unavoidable reasons, keeping that person busy, because of which I cannot do an editorial on POLY unless anyone else is willing to help me.

Sorry for inconvenience.

@taran_1407 you donā€™t necessarily have to make 2 segment trees. Since the working of the 2 segment trees is exactly the same, I made a class for segment trees and used 2 objects of that class as mentioned above. It made the code look clean and simple. Hereā€™s the code.

https://www.codechef.com/viewsolution/16233573

Mate, i too used one segtree only. Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

just see that minute difference in my code to get rid of TLE in task 9.took me 8 hours of continuous effort to find it.
TLE https://www.codechef.com/viewsolution/16259177
AC https://www.codechef.com/viewsolution/16260183
just replaced x with s new variable and it worked!!

1 Like

@taran_1407 There is no binary search.

I would like to describe the fastest solution for SEGPROD that I came up in O(N log N + Q). Letā€™s use SQRT-decomposition and divide array in sqrt(N) buckets of size sqrt(N), for each bucket letā€™s calculate product for each prefix and for each suffix. And for each pair of buckets x <= y letā€™s calculate a product of all elements between them in buckets F[x] * F[x+1] * ā€¦ * F[y], where F[i] - product of elements in i-th bucket. All these operation can be done in 2*N+sqrt(N)*sqrt(N) = 3*N ticks. Letā€™s answer for queries, suppose that l and r not in the same bucket, hence answer can be calculated in O(1) <-> use some precalculated suffix production in l-th bucket multiply it by some precalculated prefix production in r-the bucket and multiply all of it by precalculated F[idx(l)+1] * F[idx(l)+2] * ā€¦ * F[idxĀ®-1], where idx(x) denotes number of bucket where x is placed. But what if l and r in the same bucket? We can use SQRT decomposition one more time!! Letā€™s split every bucket into sqrt(sqrt(N)) buckets, and for every bucket-bucket will precalculate the product on the prefix, on the suffix and product for every pair of bucket-buckets inside the bucket, now we have 6*N operations, letā€™s split every bucket-bucket into sqrt(sqrt(sqrt(N))) buckets and for every pair of bucket-bucket-bucket use the same procedure as above. Then if query is in the same bucket-bucket-bucket(, r-l <= sqrt(sqrt(sqrt(N)) ~ 5, and we can find the production simply. T(N)=3*N+sqrt(N)*T(sqrt(N)) for precalculating and answer in O(1)

7 Likes