Should we have proper ordering of questions in Short Contests

I don’t think no one will ever ask for problem tags in future. It is equivalent to asking for the solution. There is a big difference between order and question tag. Since we got a mixed response, let’s wait for more response from the community and the opinion of admin.

3 Likes

I think there is both upside and downside to problem.
First, I think it’s a skill to read with speed and decide whether you can solve the problem within minutes or not. ( For first problem as it take less that 6-8 mins generally). So reading with speed and understanding it with speed and deciding is also a skill i guess with you need in short contests.
That’s why I think the current system is just fine.

Beside what’s the upside to it. I think it will help the beginner coders to decide which question to do and which one to try first. And it will help them to boost them confidence and learn more.

So, it’s both positive and negatives. I think we just have to decide which one weighs more.

yeah but what I think is beginners have 1st question (which is practice for div1) and after they complete first one the no. of submissions make the questions sorted… so I don’t think beginners do need help… If we sort them then it is only for good programmers or for medium level programmers who can submit 1st one in 5-15 mins( and they are in div2) Or they are in div1…

so the BENEFIT OR CHANGE is only to whole div1 and top or middle level programmers of div2… not beginners…

Why can’t we have questions labelled ‘A’,‘B’… like the Codeforces contests?
In my opinion it will be helpful for all - beginners and experienced. Beginners can give a good start to a contest by solving the easy question faster(and thus boosting their confidence). And the experienced ones can directly go to harder problems if they wish to do so.

1 Like

I don’t see the problem here. This last contest (June18) is the first one I have taken part in. By the time I joined, the contest had been running a few hours (I live in Australia). I could quickly see which were the easiest by the number of successful submissions. I started in with the second easiest, and worked my way through several of the problems during the next 9 days.

1 Like

That was a long contest. You had 9 days to solve. short contests are of 2.5-3 hrs and the person who solves first is ranked higher. So time does play a role.

in short contests, ties are broken by the time taken, and in case of long contest, equal scores means the same rank irrespective of the time.

Simple, because ALL problems have same weightage. Total time breaks tie here, and total time= “Time when solved p1 + Time when solved p2…”.

If you solve p1 and p2 in 5, 10 min respectively, your time taken is 5+(10+5)=20 min, and if you solve p2 first and then p1, in same time, you took (10+[10+5])=25min.

Doing harder first doesnt help at all, instead lowers your score.

You can actually use my have argument to say its even more important to have labellings xD

My stand on the issue is completely on the fence, i.e. perfectly neutral. I like the current system, and at the same time feel that change wont make much difference as its most impactful only in first 15 min of contest xD