INOI 2016 Discussion

I did a check like this. Let lmax = 0. Now change lmax only if the given subsequence sum is greather than lmax so I guess it will also prefer the no bracket sequence. I got accepted for all test cases but I had not thought of this scenario. Also I was printing 0 for no correct bracket sequence too

I guess the solution to the first problem goes as follows :
For every employee, since he has only one manager, the maximum difference you get with that employee and the previous nodes of the tree is the maximum wealth of one of the managers of the branch and himself. The solution is to maximize this listā€¦

I know, a bad way of representing the solutionā€¦ But i guess this is itā€¦
And as i said, because of system problems, i was not able to implement thisā€¦

There were technical difficulties at my centre.

Only C compiler was available and i use to program in C++. I could have done Question-1 but i was unable to debug because of lack of compiler and the teachers their were also unable to do anything.

if @anukul declares it in File Scope it will be on heap and will save him !

can someone interpolate the cut-off through polls a facebook ?

i think it should be zero in case answer is going negative as an empty bracket sequence is always considered as balanced

Problem 1

For all employee, traverse up the tree and keep checking if the (higher persons wealth - this personā€™s wealth) > max

Problem 2

The same recursion (cached) as rajat1603

I passed the pretests. Hoping that this will clear the real check.

Also, I do not understand the claimed DFS solution.

Does anyone know when the results should be expected?

It went Bad! (With a capital B) I mean - I solved the first question - got the logic right - but failed on its implementation. As for the second one - I gave it a try, but just wasnā€™t able to solve it.

Seems that Iā€™ll have to wait till the next year. :frowning:

PS: Created a poll here - http://goo.gl/J883Ke

Please vote, so that we can find the expected cutoff & upvote this so that everyone can vote too!

2 Likes

Could someone write this in a more detailed manner? I canā€™t understand this solution at all. My code timed out in subtask 2, probably because I think it ran in O(n!) time

@siddharths067, whatā€™s file scope?

Abey matlab Global Variable ā€¦ Matlab har bracket se bahar

Yes I thought that too and passed the pretests, but shouldnā€™t that be mentioned in the statement? It was very confusing imoā€¦

Well, 2 1 K+1 K+2 was DEFINED to be a balanced bracket sequence in the question. How can we just assume that an empty bracket sequence is balanced when itā€™s not been specifically defined? It should have been mentioned in the question, itā€™s not that stray a case to think about while framing the question.

Add everyone you know: Spreadsheet

This Google spreadsheet is publicly editable. This way, we can get an estimate on the cutoff. Add the codechef username and marks of the person you are sure of. Also check to make sure no duplicates.

Thanks.

3 Likes

If b[i] is a closing bracket, i cannot be part of any valid subsequence of b[i ā€¦ j] so dp[i][j]= dp[i+1][j]. Otherwise iterate over all values of k such that k is the closing bracket of i and k<i<=j. If i is matched with k, we get v[i]+v[k] points for this and dp[i+1][k-1]+dp[k+1][j] points for the remaining sequence, so dp[i][j]= max(dp[i][j], v[i]+v[k]+dp[i+1][k-1]+dp[k+1][j]). Also thereā€™s a possibility that i is not matched with anyone, so dp[i][j]= max(dp[i+1][j], dp[i][j]).

1 Like

Though couldnā€™t implement it but we could have used stacks for finding the largest possible bracket sequence (push opening brackets and when pushing closing brackets compare it with the most recent open bracket, if matched pop both of them) I think it is O(n) and then kadaneā€™s algo for O(n) which i think makes this problem very easy.
Can anyone confirm if it is correct.

The subsequence does not have to be contiguous.

Hereā€™s what I did for WLTHDISP: create pair of salary and boss#. Sort by boss# so that one whose boss is higher up in tree comes first in array.
This way Mr.Hojo is the first one. (1-indexed) after that dp[n] = 0. i=n-1; i>0; iā€“.
Now while the j=I+1 th term has same boss (I.e. it is at the same height in the tree, j++ and find the max of dp[j]+salary[i]-salary[j] for each iteration.

Earlier I was using Floyd Warshal but realized O(nĀ³) is too much for this data. And by the time I submitted this Sol, timer ran out so could only submit for s.t.1.

So many people scoring 200 and 140 ā€¦ Cut off -> 140 probably

1 Like

donā€™t think so. they want to increase competition in the camp. they may take 35 people by making 100 cut-off.