ACM ICPC 2017 Online Round Solutions discussed on maths stackexchange

I had a conversation with one of my friends in another college. He was highly ecstatic to say that he solved 3 problems without much effort. On asking further, he straight away told me that the math.stackexchange link was posted in the college FB group. Imagine the mass cheating that took place that day.

17 Likes

We solved 2 problems.for 2nd problem we did our best when we got that extra time so they provide and extra time for such issues is technically fine in my aspect ,but cheating was not good and ultimately its the mistake of that candidate who wished to find that answer on google rather than solving by themselves so let it be hats off to such questions _/_ @admin

1 Like

Recontest isnt a solution. No one can assure that such things will not happen again. And also for most colleges semesters will be starting soon. So most of us cant manage time for preparing again. I know many deserved candidates didnt get chance but like this there will be just an infinite loop of recontests. I know the contest wasnt fair but again recontest isnt a solution. Maybe the admins of those sites should be cautious in these times and anything related to ongoing contests should be deleted asap.

3 Likes

And for internal errors everyone faced that. Whenever you see something unexpected refer to the comments section. I saw the admins did respond pretty quickly anyone who asked about the verdict they got for their solution.

You know what this can be solved !!! This cheating issue for the preliminary Round can be solved.

How ?

1. Set questions that are Algorithmic (instead of mathematical) , having long codes and a lot of Test Cases.

Benefits -

1)This type of question wont be answered on any of the online sites like stackexchange.com etc withing 3 hours of time.

1. Even if it is answered, then it would most probably be answered at the end of the contest on these online sites, like at 2:00 hrs of the competition , then those people who are negligent to think will eventually copy the code , as a result will end being caught under plagiarism.

3)Moreover, Having questions with long codes and good edge cases will make the contestants busy to think about solution rather than discussing on the college groups.

You can put the math questions on the regional rounds where there is no internet and no cheating can be done(only oneā€™s knowledge and ability to think will be tested).

Yes, making such questions is tough.

So , things can be done , just donā€™t ignore the hardwork by saying ā€œNothing can be doneā€ .

22 Likes

Looks like you did pretty well in the contest.

2 Likes

@soham1234 I did not face an internal error, so I did not waste time on the 2nd problem, but many had to waste time only for an error which was not their fault! Obviously re-contest is not happening but whatever happened was sad since some deserving teams will not qualify just because they had a bad day (or a bad timing for submission) :expressionless:

4 Likes

And this is exactly what I think. :slight_smile:
This year online contest was very different from those held in past years and by different I mean, not in a good manner.

"So , things can be done , just donā€™t ignore the hardwork by saying ā€œNothing can be doneā€ "

exactly because many teams who didnā€™t solved on their own get the chance (:

Totally agreed, its almost impossible to catch those who cheated in mathematical questions. Algorithmic questions would decrease cheating to a large extent. But still if this year such mass cheating is ignored, me and many other will be highly disappointed by such decision of codechef / @admin

4 Likes

:frowning: Pathetic!! It is very disappointing to see such things happening in such a big contest. My whole team kept on thinking how to solve 2nd problem for 3 hrs without knowing this was happening, I donā€™t know how will codechef find who all cheated but it would be unethical and highly disappointing if the teams who cheated will move into regionals.

i also was thinking the same! My team stucked on third problem and we arrived at the correct binomial expression but didnā€™t reduce it in time (: on the other side, after the contest one of my mates showed me that the solution is already there and they solved the same in just few minutes !

ā€œAnd also for most colleges semesters will be starting soon. So most of us cant manage time for preparing again.ā€
@soham1234 This statement is not valid at all because if u are selected for onsites then how will u prepare?

Can someone tell total time mentioned in the result of amritapuri region is in which unit?